Breaking Ambitions

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Breaking Ambitions

Temporary forum for the Breaking Ambitions corporation

The DPS Class Character

KiithSoban

The DPS Class Character Empty The DPS Class Character

Post  KiithSoban Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:39 pm

The DPS Class Character

DPS: Damage Per Second. If you want to be close up blasting the other guy in the face while taking a beating yourself, this is the thread for you. Unlike the support class character you will be able to kill someone without the help of a fleet. However, keep in mind that in Eve there is no “fairness” in pvp. You will be outnumbered and you will be outgunned. Strength in numbers my friend.

This thread will walk you through the beginning stages of the Minmatar training path. I thought a specific example would be better than a broad overview. Each race can follow the same path more-or-less.

Let’s walk through 3 different ships:
    1)The Rupture. 25-40mil price tag. Very good balance of dps and tank for the t1 cruiser class.
    2)The Stabber Fleet Issue. 130-150mil price tag. MAKES YOU 100mil an hour. Insane tracking and sig.
    3)The Hurricane. 50-60mil price tag. In my opinion, one of the best battlecruisers in the game.

Step Zero: The basic skills
    You are going to want to start with this. Fly a rifter until you have these.

Drones 5
    Scout Drone Operation 1
    Propulsion Jamming 2
    Engineering 5
    Gunnery 3
    Small Projectile Turret 3
    Medium Projectile Turret 4
    Weapon Upgrades 4
    Hull Upgrades 4
    Jury Rigging 3
    Armor Rigging 1
    Missile Launcher Operation 2
    Rockets 2
    Navigation 3
    Afterburner 3
    High Speed Maneuvering 3
    Spaceship Command 3
    Minmatar Frigate 4
    Minmatar Cruiser 4

Now, you can hop into our minimum level rupture. The rupture is a basic pvp ship. It deals decent dps, it can tank gate guns and incoming fire for a bit, it has a web and scram for tackle, and it has a microwarpdrive for speed.

[Rupture, low skill ruppy]
    1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
    Damage Control II
    Magnetic Plating II
    Adaptive Nano Plating II
    Gyrostabilizer II

Y-T8 Overcharged Hydrocarbon I Microwarpdrive
    X5 Prototype I Engine Enervator
    Warp Scrambler II

220mm Medium Prototype I Automatic Cannon, Republic Fleet EMP M
    'Limos' Rocket Launcher I, Caldari Navy Gremlin Rocket
    'Limos' Rocket Launcher I, Caldari Navy Gremlin Rocket

Medium Trimark Armor Pump I
    Medium Trimark Armor Pump I
    Medium Anti-Explosive Pump I

Hobgoblin I x4
    Hammerhead I x1

Step One: Improving Your Tank.
    In the beginning, it is much better to survive longer (you will save money on buying a new ship) than it is to do more damage. It takes less skill training too. Train these skills:

EM Armor Compensation 3
    Kinetic Armor Compensation 3
    Thermic Armor Compensation 3
    Explosive Armor Compensation 3
    Hull Upgrades 5

Now you can replace the Adaptive Nano Plating II and Magnetic Plating II with two Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane IIs (EANMs). You just gained 15% more effective hit points (ehp).

Step Two: Improving Your Drones.
    Drones account for anywhere from 15%-30% of your dps. They also make short work of frigates. The Minmatar ones are the fastest, the Gallente ones do a tad more damage than the rest. The others kinda suck. Now train:

Scout Drone Operation 5
    Drone Navigation 3
    Drone Durability 3
    Drone Sharpshooting 2
    Drone Interfacing 4
    Minmatar (or Gallente) Drone Specialization 3

Now Replace your drones with the T2 version. Congrats, now a frig will have a hard time soloing you.

Step Three: Improving Your Guns.
    Shit yeah. T2 medium guns will make a huge difference. If you get these late because you trained for something else you will soon find that you made a mistake. Now you can stop calling yourself a noob. Seriously, you have graduated in my eyes. Train this:

Motion Prediction 4
    Rapid Firing 4
    Sharpshooter 2 (Level 4 needed for other types of guns)
    Controlled Bursts 0 (Level 4 needed for other types of guns. Level 5 needed for Amarr guns)
    Surgical Strike 3
    Trajectory Analysis 4 (5 preferred for Minmatar, but get that later)
    Weapon Upgrades 5
    Advanced Weapon Upgrades 4 (so you have enough powergrid to fit the guns)
    Small Projectile Turret 5
    Small Autocannon Specialization 4
    Medium Projectile Turret 5
    Medium Autocannon Specialization 4

Now Replace your 220mm Medium Prototype I Automatic Cannon With 220mm Vulcan AutoCannon IIs. Holy Shit! Your dps has just increased by 42%! Yeah, before this you have been half-assing it for sure. Think about training some more navigation skills to help out your speed. Want to max out the fit? Train all of the previously mentioned skills to 4 and Minmatar Cruiser to 5 (just training that one skill brings dps up another 8%). You will need them later anyways.

Some things to think about:
    Consider how much we improved on this fit just by putting better modules on it. I hope you can see now that it isn’t the hull that defines how good a ship is; it is the modules on it. Just because you can undock a ship does not mean you can fly it properly. In fact, I would prefer it if the members in my fleet have all the skills they need to fully t2 fit a ship before they fly it with me; but ya’ know, that would be no fun and nobody would ever learn anything.

The Stabber Fleet Issue:
    Now that you can fit everything t2, people will let you in their incursion fleets =) Check out the other thread on incursion fittings for tips. Keep in mind that armor fleets are not as common as shield fleets. Ask in incursion channel to be invited to other channels that specifically deal with organizing armor fleets. They will tell you where to go and give you further help on your fit.

The Hurricane:
    This is really the bread and butter of any lowsec pvp fleet. Check out the hurricane fits in our other threads or ask around for one. They are one of the few ships that can be effectively fitted with an armor or shield tank and still be good at pvp with either one. Battlecruiser level 4 at a minimum.

Thanks for listening.

--KiithSoban

“He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious.” – Sun Tzu: The Art of War.